Deadline: March 1, 2022
Submission Length: One-act, Short
Award(s) Offered: Festival
Accepts Submissions of: Plays /
Does NOT Accept Submissions of: Musicals /
Each June this one-act play festival attracts some of the country’s most gifted new playwrights. See the works of four of the best plays submitted each year and get the unique opportunity to serve as a theatre critic and vote for your favorite entry.
• Only unpublished, non-musical works are acceptable. Plays enjoying a previous public “reading” or that have not been staged in more than one other theatre are acceptable.
• There are no thematic restrictions. However, some preference will be given toward works without gratuitous “adult” material. Also, because it is the “new” voice play festival, we encourage works that are not based on other sources, either in the written or verbal tradition (i.e. translations, modernizations, re-workings, etc.).
• Limit two submissions per playwright. We do not encourage re-submitting works from previous Festival years.
• The length should be at least 10 minutes (10 pages) and not exceed 40 minutes. The history of the Festival is one of works in the 20-30 minute range.
• No minimum characters, but the suggested maximum is 8 actors (multiple roles allowed if doubling is feasible and consistent with the overall flow of the show).
• Set should be minimal or easily suggested. The number of scenes also should be limited. Plays will be presented consecutively on one stage.
• Deadline for submission: Postmarked or received by Email by March 1
CONTACT NAME: Steven Brewer
CONTACT EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
Old Opera House Theatre Company New Voice Play Festival
204 N. George Street
Charles Town, WV 25414
BACK TO LISTINGS