Deadline: December 1, 2020
Submission Length: Full-length
Award(s) Offered: Production, Cash
Special Interests: adaptation, student
Accepts Submissions of: Musicals /
The National Student Playwriting Award, initiated in 1974, is part of the Michael Kanin Playwriting Awards Program. This awards program is a series of awards given to student writers whose plays are produced as part of the Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival (KCACTF). The purpose of the program is to encourage college students to write for the stage by providing the opportunity for them to collaborate with actors, directors, and others through all stages of production, including rehearsals and performances. Please refer to the Rules and Procedures. The playwright and/or institution chosen for the National Student Playwriting Award may receive the following:
* Production of the play at the Kennedy Center as part of the KCACTF national festival, with all expenses paid for the production and the playwright.
* The Kennedy Center will award the playwright a cash prize of $2500.
* Dramatists Guild Award. The Dramatists Guild Award provides the playwright with Active membership in the Guild.
* Samuel French Award. Samuel French, Inc. may offer the playwright a contract for publication of the play, and will send the playwright royalties received for productions of the play worldwide.
* Sundance Theater Laboratory Fellowship. The Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival will provide the winner with an all-expenses paid fellowship to the Sundance Theater Lab. The Sundance Theater Laboratory will arrange for the playwright to meet in a mentoring situation with the Sundance resource directors, playwrights, and dramaturgs.
* The Association for Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE) Award. ATHE will present an award of $100 to each theater department producing an original student-written, full-length play at each of the eight KCACTF Regional Festivals. Additionally, ATHE will present a cash award of up to $1000 to the theater department of the school producing the National Student Playwriting Award-winner in a public ceremony during the KCACTF National Festival.
CONTACT NAME: Susan Shaffer
The National Student Playwriting Award
The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
Washington, DC 20566-0001
BACK TO LISTINGS