ELECTIONS TO THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
NMI’s By-Laws empower you, as members of the Academy for New Musical Theatre, to elect one person of your own choosing to serve on the Board of Directors. This person will have full voting privileges, and will be an equal member of the Board.
The term is for one year, beginning at the January 2016 Board meeting. There will be an election every year for this position on the Board.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF NMI BOARD MEMBER
The Board member’s responsibilities include:
• Attending six Board meetings
• Articulating members’ concerns to the Board
• Articulating Board’s concerns to the members
• Serving on one Board committee
The NMI Board member is exempt from having to put in additional volunteer hours. Aside from normal member fees, there is no additional financial requirement.
Board meetings are currently scheduled for during the afternoons, January 13 (at NMI), March 16 (onWestside), and May 18 (at NMI). July/Sept/Nov meetings have not yet been scheduled, but are likely to be the second Wednesday afternoons of July, Sept and November. Committees meet online on the second Tuesday of every other month from 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM in months intervening between Board meetings.
IF YOU WANT TO BE ON THE BALLOT
Here are the steps to follow, if you’re interested in being considered for election to the Board:
1. Find an ANMT or ARC member to nominate you. Nominations must be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than December 1, 2015 worded as follows: “I, ___________________, do hereby nominate __________________ as a candidate for the Board of Directors for the Academy for New Musical Theatre.”
2. Nominees must send by email to email@example.com a paragraph, written by the nominee, to accompany his name on the ballot, no later than December 6, 2015. This statement may be about anything of the nominee’s choosing, but must be a minimum of 100 words and a maximum of 300. The nominee may choose to state his or her personal goals for the organization in the next few years; or may identify a portion of ANMT which needs attention and a proffered solution; etc.
Every nominee will have his or her name and paragraph placed on the ballot.
Members of the Academy for New Musical Theatre (which includes General Members in goodstanding in ANMT as well as actors in ARC) may nominate whomever they want. Participants in Core Curriculum and Performers’ Workshop are not considered members of ANMT and can neither nominate nor vote (unless the participant is already a General Member or member of ARC). The nominated person must be (and must remain) a member in good standing at ANMT or ARC, and is eligible to serve on the Board of Directors, according to its By Laws and the rules governed by law. The current By-Laws, for instance, bar the Executive Director from serving as a Board member, and there are certain restrictions which might bar a member who stands personally to gain financially and directly, without benefit to the rest of the membership.
A list of the nominees’ names and their statements will be included in the Weekly Email which will be emailed to all ANMT/ARC members on December 7. A copy of the statements will also be emailed to the Board.
Each ANMT General or ARC member in good standing as of November 30 will be eligible to vote.
Physical, paper ballots (along with a ballot box in which to place your vote) will be available at workshop at the following times:
Saturday December 12 from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Sunday, December 13 from 2:30pm-6:00 p.m.
Voting Envelopes will be tallied in the presence of a Board member and the Executive Director.
The nominee who receives the most number of votes will be elected to serve on the Board of Directors for a one year term, effective January 2016.
In the case of a tie, a new ballot with only the tied nominees’ names will be disseminated, with a posted deadline for ballot-return.
In the case of only a single nominee, the candidate will be elected pro forma, without a vote. If no nominees are submitted, the Board will convene without a Member Representative until the following year’s nominations.
The new Board member’s first Board meeting will be January 13th, 2016.
NOTE: Current Member Representative Ron Barnett has expressed desire in serving a second term as your representative on the Board. If no additional candidates are nominated, Ron Barnett will pro forma be elected to the Board.